Help Out At The Children's Theatre
Are you retired? Are you a high school or college student in need of service hours?
Volunteer ushers are a vital part of The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati family at The Taft Theatre for our MainStage performances. Whether seating a classroom of kindergarteners about to enjoy their first live theatre performance or helping a family of six find seats together during opening night excitement, ushers ensure that our patrons enjoy the very best experience possible during their time with us.
Ushering is also a great community service opportunity for groups. Volunteers learn what goes into running a theater while honing their interpersonal, communication and leadership skills. TCT will track volunteer hours, fill out any necessary paperwork and help volunteers get the most out of their experience.
Ushers are needed for School Performances which take place on weekday mornings, and Public Performances which take place on Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Ushers should arrive one hour and fifteen minutes before show time for a brief orientation meeting. Ushers are assigned an area in the theater to work from before the show until approximately fifteen minutes after the show begins. At that time, ushers are welcome to stay and watch the remainder of the performance, but are not required to do so. Ushering is a 1 ½ -2 hour time commitment per performance.
• Dress in black and white attire, preferably a white collared shirt and black pants or a skirt
• Seat audience and distribute programs
• Assist audience members with special needs
• Understand evacuation procedures
• Hand out cards pertaining to our show surveys and communicate the benefit of participating in these extremely important surveys.
• Help to make The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati a wonderful experience!
• Seeing children and families experience the magic of live theatre!
• Enjoying the performance when not assisting patrons
• Supporting the oldest professional children’s theatre in the country
• Community Service hours
Minimum Need per Show:
• School performances at the Taft Theatre 14 Volunteers per show
• Public performances at the Taft Theatre 20 Volunteers per show
Bus Assistance is needed for School Performances at the Taft Theatre which take place on weekday mornings. Bus Assistance Volunteers should arrive one hour and fifteen minutes before show times for a brief orientation meeting. Bus Assistance Volunteers will greet a school bus when they arrive prior to the performance. They will assign each bus a number and will display the number on the front right window of the bus. You will indicate on your clip board and school assignment sheet the bus number given to a particular school. You must be able to move quickly and be able to go up and down bus steps repetitively (there can be up to 50 buses per show). This position is outside the theater and you must dress according to weather conditions.
Once the performance begins Bus Assistance Volunteers are welcome to stay and watch the remainder of the performance, but are not required to do so. Bus Assistance Volunteering is a 1 ½ -2 hour time commitment per performance.
• Must be agile and be able to go up and down school bus steps repetitively.
• Must dress for weather conditions on day of volunteering.
Minimum Need per show:
• 3 to 4 volunteers per school performances, weekdays.
The purpose of this volunteer position is to assist with basic office duties at The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati. Volunteers will strive to embody the organization’s mission as they engage with both staff and the general public.
Location: The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati, 4015 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45227
• Assisting with answering the phone and providing information to building guests
• Assisting with evening classes and auditions at the information desk.
• Data Entry
• Handling Merchandise in our facility
• Assist with setting up for shows and events throughout the building
• Basic knowledge of computer and data entry
• Pleasant disposition, patience, problem solving skills and reliability
• Dependable and punctual
Minimum Need week:
• One day per week for three hours Monday through Friday
Hours Monday through Friday are 9:30 AM to 8:30 PM
• One day per weekend for the TCT Academy for 2 ½ to 3 hours
Saturday hours are 9:30 AM to 3:30PM
Sunday hours are 2:00 PM to 6:30PM
Special Event Volunteers:
Each year The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati hosts or attends several special events such as:
• Family Gala in October
• Cookies with Santa in December
• Auditions for STAR Programs
• Auditions for MainStage Productions in May and August
• Special character appearances throughout the year
• Community Fairs and special event throughout the year
Each event requires the support of our staff and volunteers.
Special emails for these events will be sent in advance of the event.
For more information about volunteering contact Mary Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-569-8080 ext. 14.