Frequently Asked Questions
Where do MainStage performances take place?
All MainStage performances will continue to take place at the Taft Theatre at 5th and Sycamore Streets in Downtown Cincinnati.
How long are The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati's MainStage performances?
Shows typically last about one hour.
Is there an intermission?
No, all of our shows run without an intermission. The average length of our shows is 55 minutes.
What should we wear to The Children's Theatre?
Casual or formal attire is always welcome. Sometimes children even dress as their favorite character from the show. It's all up to you!
How old should my child be to attend The Children's Theatre?
For our school performances, children under the age of three are only permitted at our designated Home School performances on Tuesdays at 12:30 PM.
For our public performances, we have age suggestions for each production listed on each show's page, but we usually look to parents and guardians to make their own choices. If your child can attend a children's movie in a movie theater, they should be just fine seeing one of our shows. Our shows are actually shorter than the typical children's film. If your child gets antsy during a production, you're always welcome to join us in the lobby area.
What should I do if my child is restless during a public performance?
While the content of many of our shows is appropriate for a broad age range, we know that many children under the age of four will become restless or talkative during an hour-long performance. If you plan to bring children under the age of four to attend a performance, please consider purchasing tickets closer to the back of the auditorium and near the aisle. This will make it easier for you and your child to move to the lobby if your child grows restless during the production. It will also ensure that you, your child, and those around you are able to enjoy the experience of the performance.
Do you sell concessions?
The Taft Theatre sells simple snacks and beverages in the side lobbies before the show that you may bring into the theater. The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati will also have gummy bears and other merchandise available to purchase in the lobby. Proceeds of that merchandise supports the programs of The Childrens Theatre of Cincinnati. In addition, a variety of delicious baked goods from the Bonbonerie will be available before and after the public performances for the first time this season.
Concessions are not sold at school performances.
Are there places to eat nearby the Taft Theatre?
Visit downtowncincinnati for more information on all eateries located downtown.
How can I buy MainStage tickets?
There are three ways to purchase MainStage tickets for public performances:
- You may call our Box Office at 513.569.8080 x10 during box office hours 10 AM to 3 PM Monday through Friday.
- Tickets may be purchased by phone through Ticketmaster at 800.745.3000 or via ticketmaster.com
- You may walk up to the Taft Theatre Box Office Monday-Friday during Box Office hours 11 AM to 3 PM or one hour before showtime.
To attend a weekday school performance, call Pam at 513.569.8080 x13 to make reservations.
What are the public Box Office hours?
You can reach our Box Office staff via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 513-569-8080 x10. Red Bank Box Office hours are 10 AM to 3 PM. The Box Office at the Taft Theatre at 5th and Sycamore is open Monday-Friday 11 AM to 3 PM or one hour before show time.
Do I need to pay for my infant?
Children under age 2 do not require a ticket, but must sit in a grown-ups lap.
How do I redeem a coupon/voucher?
For coupons, you can call The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati Box Office at 513.569.8080 x10 to redeem, or it can be presented in person at the Taft Theatre one hour before show time only.
Can I exchange public tickets and how?
MainStage public show tickets may only be exchanged by Season Ticket Holders. We will exchange tickets for Non-Season Ticket Holders for a special $5 per ticket fee. We are unable to exchange tickets purchased directly through Ticketmaster or purchased at the Taft Theatre Box Office.
Tickets may only be exchanged for a different performance day and time for the same show.
Exchanging tickets for a different production within the season is not permissible. No exceptions.
We ask that you please exchange your tickets at least one week before the day of your scheduled performance. Once the date on your tickets has passed, the tickets are invalid and cannot be exchanged.
Ways to exchange public tickets
- Call the Box Office 513.569.8080 x10. Email a photo of your tickets, torn in half, to the Ticket Office or fax a copy of the torn tickets to 513.569.8084.
- Mail your actual tickets to Ticket Office, The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati, 4015 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, OH 45227.
- Come to The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati offices at 4015 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, OH 45227 between 10 AM and 3 PM with your tickets to exchange them. Please call ahead to confirm your visit at 513.569.8080 x10.
All ticket exchanges are subject to availability at the time of the exchange.
Season Ticket Holders may exchange tickets at no fee. Non-season ticket holders may exchange for a $5 per ticket fee.
Seats may be added to your public order at any time prior to two weeks before a production opens, subject to availability. Please note that your current seats may be moved if you require all of the seats to be together or in close proximity.
What happens if I am late for a performance?
We know sometimes lateness is unavoidable. We will do our best to seat you regardless of how late you are; however, please know that this can be distracting to the actors and other patrons. In order to minimize distraction, we can't guarantee that we will be able to seat latecomers in their reserved seat, but we will seat you in the best available seats at an appropriate moment in the performance.
What happens if I miss a performance?
Tickets for missed performances are not exchangeable or refundable.
Can I get a refund for unused tickets?
Tickets are non-refundable but you may turn them in to the box office before the performance. The value of the returned tickets can be considered a fully tax deductible gift to The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati. We also encourage you to donate your tickets to Most Valuable Kids of Greater Cincinnati, Inc.
MVK overcomes the financial obstacles associated with live events by distributing unused tickets to kids who would enjoy the opportunity to go to an event, but would otherwise not be able to because of the high costs associated with tickets. These tickets are distributed to boys and girls,18 and under, through local tax-exempt organizations that focus on children in low-income and underserved households. They require 24 hours in advance or by noon on Friday for a Saturday or Sunday performance. For details visit: www.mostvaluablekids.org/aboutmvk.cfm
How far in advance should I order my tickets?
We suggest ordering tickets in advance, so you will not be surprised by a sold out show. The earlier you order your tickets, the better selection of seats you will have.
Can I get a block of tickets for my group?
Yes, for Group Sales of 10 or more, please call our Box Office at 513.569.8080 x10.
Who do I call if I have other Ticketing questions?
Our Box Office can be reached at 513.569.8080 x10 for public performances.
For ticketing questions regarding school performances, call Pam Young at 513.569.8080 x13.
MainStage Directions & Parking
Unless otherwise specified, all Children's Theatre of Cincinnati performances take place at The Taft Theatre, which is conveniently located at the corner of 5th & Sycamore Streets in downtown Cincinnati.
- From the North: Take I-71 South to the Reading Road/Gilbert Avenue exit. Follow Reading Road to Sycamore Street and turn left. Follow Sycamore Street south to 5th Street.- OR -Take I-75 South to the 5th Street exit. Go east on 5th Street to Sycamore.
- From the South: Take I-75 North to the 5th Street exit. Go east on 5th Street to Sycamore.
- Via Public Transportation Get route and schedule information online from Metro or TANK.
- Broadway Garage: 310 Broadway
- Queen City Square Garage: 301 East Fourth Street
- Chiquita Building Garage: on Sycamore Street, between 5th and 6th Streets
- First Financial Center Garage: on Main Street, between 4th and 5th Streets
- Queen City Square Garage: on Sycamore Street, between 3rd and 4th Streets
- There is an outdoor parking lot on the corner of Fifth and Broadway
- Underground parking available at Fountain Square
- Limited street parking is available along 5th Street, Sycamore Street and Broadway
During Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals home games as well as US Bank Arena events, parking is traditionally more difficult. Please leave yourself additional time before the show begins to secure a parking spot.
Please note you WILL need to pay parking meters on Saturdays and Sundays.
TCT On Tour
How can I find out if a TCT On Tour production is playing in my area?
A list of public performances for our touring productions is available here.
What are the space requirements for a TCT On Tour performance at our school or venue?
- Auditorium or gymnasium floor is preferred. If not available, any large space will be sufficient.
- Minimum size of stage: 20 feet deep, 20 feet wide, 12 feet ceiling height. (check with our office concerning spaces with smaller dimensions. Call 513.569.8080 x20 or email Melissa Knueven with questions.
- Please have performance space swept clear of all equipment and debris.
Do we need to have a microphones available?
- We travel with our own sound system.
- An electrical outlet near the performance space is required.
Are there other technical requirements?
Yes, they can be found here.
What should I expect on the day of the performance?
Especially within the Tri-state, TCT On Tour offers a unique theatrical experience—brought right to you! To give you a better idea of what to expect on the day our actors arrive, please see below.
Public Venues (library, theater, rec center)
- Our actors will arrive between 1½-2 hours before the performance start time. At the moment, TCT On Tour travels in a white cargo van which contains everything—and everyone—needed for the show.
- Our Road Manager will confirm with you that everything is ready, and then the other actors will begin the load-in process. If you have crew members to assist, we thank you! Load-in generally takes 20-45 minutes, depending on the nature of your venue. If there is a freight elevator, side door, or other specific route that would make loading in more convenient for you or the actors, please let the Road Manager know.
- Once the set and props have been unloaded, the actors will assemble the set, do a sound check, set their props, and change into costume. Everything on stage should be set and ready by the time the audience enters.
- Run time of shows is about 45 minutes, plus 10-15 minutes for Q&A. If there are house lights, please raise them after the curtain call.
- Payment is due on the day of the performance and may be mailed to our office or given to the Road Manager.
- It is the actors’ responsibility to ensure our set, equipment, etc., is reloaded into the van securely, but again, if you have crew members to assist, we appreciate the help!
- Our actors will arrive 1 hour before the performance start time. At the moment, TCT On Tour travels in a white cargo van which contains everything—and everyone—needed for the show. Our Road Manager will usually go to the front office to confirm that everything is ready.
- All actors will begin the load-in process. This generally takes 20-45 minutes, depending on the layout of your school. If there is a specific route that would make loading in more convenient for you or the actors, please let the Road Manager know. Our actors are trained to adapt to each performance space, be it a cafeteria, gym, multi-purpose room, etc., and you may work with them to decide where the audience will sit. We ask that you seat the youngest grades first so they can sit closer to the front.
- Once the set and props have been unloaded, the actors will assemble the set, do a sound check, set their props, and change into costume. Please provide them an adult restroom or storage room where they can change. Everything on stage should be set and ready by the time the audience enters (about 10 minutes before start time).
- Run time of shows is about 45 minutes, plus 10-15 minutes for Q&A. If the show needs to be shortened, please let the Road Manager know during load-in. Payment is due on the day of the performance and may be mailed to our office or given to the Road Manager.
- It is the actors’ responsibility to ensure our set, equipment, etc., is reloaded into the van securely.
A few things to remember when booking a TCT On Tour WorkShop or Residency at your school:
- Our WorkShops and Residencies are very interactive. Be sure you have a location where desks can be moved out of the way so your students can get involved and be active.
- For the best experience possible, our WorkShops are designed for groups of 30 or less at one time.
Have a question that's not answered here?
Please call 513.569.8080 x20 or email Melissa.
How do I register my child for Classes?
Registration can be done online through TCTC’s website, available here. Paper registrations may be mailed or may be presented in person during Box Office hours 10 AM to 3 PM or faxed to 513.569.8084.
How do I register my child for The STAR Programs?
Both programs are audition-based. Auditions are typically held in January or February. If you're interested in receiving information regarding next year's program, please join our mailing list.
Does my child need to have prior drama experience?
Certain classes have prerequisites, but there is an entry point for all ages. Both programs are audition-based programs.
How do I cancel my child’s registration?
Contact Jay Goodlett at 513.569.8080 x25 for cancellations. TCTC will issue a refund for cancellations less a $50 fee.
How big are the classes?
- Class sizes range for our Learning the Craft Classes. Classes can be as small as 3 students with a maximum of 15 per class.
- Each class must have a minimum of 5 students (max. is 15). The class may be canceled if it does not reach the minimum requirement. Mr. Jay Goodlett will decide if the class will be held or not. If class is canceled, you will be notified by phone about other options (switching to a different day, different class etc.) If tuition was paid online you will be refunded.
- For STAR Intensive NKU, our classes range in size. A small class has approx. 18 students, while a large class has approx. 28 students.
- During STAR Camp Red Bank classes range from 30-35 students.
Are there payment plans or scholarship opportunities?
- At this time there are no alternative payment plans nor scholarship options for TCT Academy classes.
- For The STAR Program, a payment in full date will be specified upon acceptance into the program. If a student has a financial issue regarding payment in full, and would like to request a payment plan, they may contact Pam Young at least 60 days prior to the first day of the STAR Program. There are up to six STAR scholarships are awarded based on financial need. For more information on scholarships, contact Roderick Justice at Roderick Justice. A non-refundable deposit is required to secure a spot in the STAR Program.
- There are currently no scholarship opportunities available for STAR Camp Red Bank or TCT Academy classes. A non-refundable deposit will required to secure a spot in STAR Camp Red Bank.
Is there a performance at the end of STAR NKU Intensive, STAR Camp Red Bank or TCT Academy class sessions?
- For TCT Academy classes, all classes hold a mini performance at the end of the session.
- STAR Intensive NKU has a culminating performance at the end which will take place on the campus of Northern Kentucky University in The Corbett Theatre.
- At the end of the third week of STAR Camp Red Bank, there will be a culminating showcase for family members located at The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati's new facility at 4015 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, OH 45227.
Who do I call if I have other TCT Academy /STAR Intensive NKU / STAR Camp Red Bank questions?
For more information about TCT Academy call Jay Goodlett at 513-569-8080 x25 or email Jay Goodlett.
For STAR Intensive NKU or STAR Camp Red Bank questions call Roderick Justice at 513.569.8080 x26 or email Roderick Justice.
Where is The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati located?
All of our MainStage performances are at the Taft Theatre at 5th and Sycamore in Downtown Cincinnati.
Our administrative offices are located at 4015 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, OH 45227.
No performances take place at our administrative offices; however, our Classes are held here.
Does TCTC host birthday parties?
The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati does not currently host birthday parties. You can however, purchase tickets at a discount for a group of children celebrating a birthday. For group rates click here.
Is the Taft Theatre available to rent?
Yes, although The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati is not responsible for rentals. Please contact the Taft Theatre directly for more information. http://tafttheatre.org/contact
Does TCTC make donations to silent auctions?
Each season, The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati has a limited number of family four-packs to upcoming performances to donate for charity events.. To make a ticket donation request, please send a letter on your organization's letterhead to:Pam Young, Operations ManagerThe Children's Theatre of Cincinnati4015 Red Bank RoadCincinnati, OH 45227Fax: 513.569.8084Requesting organizations must be registered non-profit organizations. Please, only one request per year. The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati reserves the right to refuse to extend tickets on a case-by-case basis.
How large is the Taft Theatre’s capacity?
The Taft Theatre holds 2200 seats.
How do I audition for TCTC?
The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati holds auditions for professional child and adult actors once a year, usually in August. To sign up for more information click here.